A car accident can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, particularly if you have been involved in a rear-end collision. However, it is important to stay calm and take certain steps to protect your safety and rights. If you have been involved in a rear-end car with a tractor trailer, the following guide provides a comprehensive overview of what to do:
- Check for injuries and call 911 if necessary
The first thing you should do after a car accident is to check yourself and any passengers in your vehicle for injuries. If anyone is hurt, call 911 immediately and request an ambulance. It is also a good idea to check on the occupants of the other vehicle involved in the accident to see if they require medical attention.
The non-emergency phone number for the police in Lexington, KY is (859) 258-3600. This number should be used for non-emergency situations, such as to report a minor car accident or to request a police accident report. For emergency situations, such as a major rear end accident, medical emergency, or fire, you should call 911.
- Move the vehicles out of traffic if possible
If your vehicle is drivable and there are no injuries, move your car to the side of the road or a safe area if possible. This will help to prevent additional accidents from occurring and keep the flow of traffic moving. If you cannot move your vehicle, turn on your hazard lights and put out reflective triangles to warn other drivers.
- Exchange information with the other driver
Once you have checked for injuries and moved your car to a safe location, you should exchange information with the other driver. This includes their name, phone number, and insurance information. You should also provide the same information to the other driver. Be sure to take note of the make and model of their vehicle, as well as the license plate number.
- Take photos of the damage to both vehicles
It is important to document the damage to both vehicles involved in the accident. Take photos of the damage from different angles and distances, and be sure to capture any skid marks or debris on the road. This documentation can be useful when filing an insurance claim.
After a rear-end collision in Lexington, KY, the following steps should be taken:
- Check for injuries and call 911 if necessary.
- Move the vehicles out of traffic if possible.
- Exchange information with the other driver, including names, phone numbers, and insurance information.
- Take photos of the damage to both vehicles.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident.
- Seek medical attention if you have any injuries, even if they seem minor.
- Follow up with your insurance company and any medical providers as needed.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident
Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to report the accident. You will need to provide them with the details of the accident, including the date, time, location, and the names and contact information of the other driver(s) involved. They will also ask you for the police report number, which you should obtain from the officer who responds to the scene.
- Seek medical attention if you have any injuries, even if they seem minor
Even if you feel fine after the accident, it is important to seek medical attention if you have any injuries, no matter how minor they may seem. Some injuries, such as whiplash or a concussion, may not be immediately apparent and can worsen over time if left untreated. Seeking medical attention can also provide important documentation of your injuries if you need to file a personal injury claim.
- Follow up with your insurance company and any medical providers as needed
After you have reported the accident to your insurance company and sought medical attention, it is important to follow up as needed. Your insurance company will likely assign an adjuster to your case who will contact you to discuss the details of the accident and assess the damage to your vehicle. You should also follow up with any medical providers to ensure that you receive the care you need.
In Kentucky, car accident liability is determined by comparative negligence. This means that each driver is assigned a percentage of fault for the accident based on their actions. If you are found to be partially at fault for the accident, your compensation may be reduced proportionally. It is important to determine fault for the accident so that you can file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
Consult with an Attorney
If you have been injured in a rear end collision, it will be in your best interest to consult with an attorney. A personal injury attorney can help you navigate the claims process and negotiate with insurance companies to ensure that you receive the compensation you are legally entitled to.
Consulting with an attorney after a car wreck can be beneficial for a number of reasons. Here are a few reasons why you may want to consider consulting with an attorney:
- They can help you understand your legal rights: An attorney can explain your legal rights and options, and help you understand the potential outcomes of your case. They can also advise you on how to handle conversations with insurance adjusters, and ensure that you don’t sign away any of your legal rights.
- They can help you negotiate with insurance companies: Insurance companies are known to try and settle claims for as little as possible, and an attorney can help you negotiate a fair settlement for your case. They can also help you gather evidence and present a strong case to the insurance company.
- They can represent you in court: If your case goes to trial, an attorney can represent you in court and advocate for your rights. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is presented in the best possible light.
- They can help you recover damages: If you have been injured in a car wreck, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. An attorney can help you calculate the damages you have suffered, and fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Overall, consulting with an attorney can help you protect your legal rights, navigate the claims process, and get the compensation you deserve after a car wreck.